Rosalie’s Cannoli Cake
TIME: 1 ½ HOURS
NOTE: This cake is not only beautiful but just as delicious as an Italian cream-filled cannoli. Topped with a whipped mascarpone frosting, the cake is just rich enough without competing for flavor.
2 (9-inch round) layers, Pillsbury Moist Supreme Yellow Cake Mix
1 (9-inch round) layer, Pillsbury Moist Supreme Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1 cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (15-ounce) carton ricotta cheese
Whipped Mascarpone Frosting
2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ (8-ounce) cartons mascarpone cheese
Candied Pecans/Sliced Almonds
½ cup pecans, chopped coarse
4 teaspoons sugar, divided
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
¼ cup raspberry preserves
1. Butter and flour four 9-inch round cake pans. Prepare cake mixes as directed and pour batters into prepared pans. Bake as directed, careful not to overcook cakes. Remove from oven and place on cake racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes and continue to cool on racks for about 1 hour. Prepare filling while cakes are cooling.
2. Make the ricotta cream filling by placing the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in electric mixer. Beat mixture until thick and smooth, about 5 to 6 minutes. Fold in the ricotta cheese and continue to mix with a fork until completely smooth. Set filling in refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.
3. Make whipped mascarpone frosting by placing cream in electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium until stiff peaks form, about 6 to 8 minutes; add the mascarpone cheese and continue to mix on medium speed until smooth and thick. Place frosting in glass bowl and refrigerate until ready to frost cakes.
4. Place pecans in small fry pan with 2 teaspoons sugar over medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar disappears and the pecans are candied, careful not to burn. Place pecans in small bowl to cool before garnishing cake. Toast sliced almonds in same fry pan with 2 teaspoons sugar; stirring constantly until lightly toasted. Remove and place in small bowl to cool. When both pecans and almonds are cooled, combine nuts.
5. To Assemble Cake: On large round platter, place one layer yellow cake. Place about 1 cup of the ricotta filling over cake. With large serrated knife, cut the chocolate layer in half. Place one of the halves over the filling. Add another 1 cup ricotta over the chocolate layer. Top the ricotta with the other half chocolate layer, and spread another 1 cup filling. Top the second chocolate layer with the other yellow cake layer. Frost the sides and top of cake with the whipped mascarpone frosting, leaving a 3-inch circle on the top middle of the cake unfrosted for the raspberry preserves. With nuts in hand, press the nuts all around the sides of cake. Spread the raspberry preserves in the middle top of the cake, out about 2-inches. Apply dollops of frosting all around the outer edge of the top of the cake up to the raspberry preserves. Garnish with fresh raspberries and place a dollop of the frosting in the middle of the cake with raspberry in the center. Serves 16.