Rising Stars of Italian – American heritage Scholarship award
Purpose: To encourage young men and young women to foster a connection with their cultural heritage for improved understanding, valuing, caring, and enjoying the Italian culture.
There are three categories for young men and young women!
What: Apply for the scholarship and opportunity to represent your cultural heritage at a variety of events throughout St. Louis. Attendance to events is encouraged, but not required with one exception (must participate in the October 1, 2017 parade)
Who: Young men and young women in the following age groups (men and women will be in two separate categories):
Age 18-21 2 scholarship awards $500 (one each to young man, young woman)
Age 14-17 2 scholarship awards $250 (one each to young man, young woman)
Age 10-13 2 scholarship awards $100 (one each to young man, young woman)
How to enter:
- A written essay- due a electronically by July 24, 2017
- Create a tri-fold poster display (like for a science fair – see attached for more detail) and be present to discuss with the other participants, audience members, and judges on Sunday, August 6th
Where: Italia-American Bocce Club
When: Sunday, August 6th 1 p.m. – ???
An independent panel of judges who have interest in promoting Italian culture will conduct the judging. You will be evaluated on the following four areas:
- Application and essay – your application and essay are reviewed prior to August 6th.
- Poster representing your research— Each contestant will have a brief interview with each judge.
- Oral presentation—along with your poster, you will be judged on your communication skills (poise, confidence, speaking clarity, ability to answer questions, eye contact, pleasant facial expression, enthusiasm) as you describe your research and findings (that are illustrated on the poster) and any additional questions the judges have.
Please electronically send the application and essay to (include in the subject line name of participant and age group) by Monday, July 24th!
Ms. Jeanne Florini, Chairperson
If you have any questions, please call Jeanne Florini at (314) 605-8340 or eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org