Our Italian Pressed Sandwich is a simple sandwich recipe that makes a delicious dinner any night of the week. Sandwiched between hearty ciabatta bread and loaded with delicious Italian deli meats and cheese, this pressed sandwich also travels well, making it the perfect on-the-go lunch option for back to school, work, or even a fun picnic basket essential to enjoy outdoors.
The Pressed Sandwich
Pressed sandwiches make a wonderful dinner option in the summer when it’s too hot to turn on the oven. They are hearty enough to feed a hungry family, and you can customize the flavors easily to make even the pickiest eaters happy. Our Italian Pressed Sandwich recipe is full of Italian deli meats easily found at your grocery store like pepperoni, capicola, & salami. Additionally, there is mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomato pesto, and fresh basil leaves to add to the Italian flavor and also makes this sandwich the same colors as the Italian flag. Pressing the sandwich for at least 20-30 minutes in the fridge melds all of the flavors together magically for an exciting taste experience, however, if you decide not to press it, you are still sure to love this simple sandwich recipe! For more sandwich inspiration check out our collection of Simple Sandwich Recipes that will make you love lunch again!
Italian Pressed Sandwich Recipe Tips
- Use a sturdy bread like ciabatta bread. Additionally, we recommend purchasing a loaf and cutting it to 6×6″. In doing so, you’ll have 4 sandwiches once pressed and cut.
- When making a pressed sandwich, you don’t want it to get soggy, therefore be sure the pesto you use isn’t too wet. Look for a sun-dried tomato spread if purchasing, and if you make your own pesto, just be sure to omit some of the oil so it’s a little on the dry side.
- For maximum flavor, we recommend using the best quality deli meats and cheese available to you, and always use fresh basil or arugula for the green if you aren’t a fan of basil.
- For pressing, be sure to wrap the sandwich tightly and use a heavy pot or skillet on top. A cast-iron skillet works well.
- Refer to the How-To Photo Tutorial below the recipe for a visual reference when preparing this simple sandwich recipe.
- 1 loaf of ciabatta bread at least 6×6″
- ½ cup tomato pesto
- Sandwich pepperoni, 2-4 ounces
- Capicola ham, 2-4 ounces
- Fresh mozzarella, 4 ounces
- bunch fresh basil
- 3-4 tomato slices
- 4 ounces calabrese salami
- Slice the ciabatta loaf in half longways through the middle so you have a top and a bottom half for making sandwiches.
- Spread ¼ cup of tomato pesto on each half of the ciabatta bread.
- Place 4 ounces of sandwich pepperoni on the bottom half of the bread
- Top wil 4 ounces of capicola ham and 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
- Layer the basil leaves and tomato slices on top of the mozzarella and top with 4 ounces of salami.
- Place the top half of the bread loaf on top and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place a heavy pot or skillet on top to gently press the sandwich and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, carefully unwrap the sandwich and slice off the edges if you want a nice square cut.
- Carefully cut the loaf in half and then cut each half in half again. This will yield 4 sandwiches. Enjoy!
How-To Photo Tutorial
Slice the ciabatta loaf in half longways through the middle so you have a top and a bottom half for making sandwiches. Spread 1/4 cup of tomato pesto on each half of the ciabatta bread. Place 4 ounces of sandwich pepperoni on the bottom half of the bread. Top with 4 ounces of capicola ham…
Top with 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese, and layer the basil leaves and tomato slices on top of the mozzarella. Top with 4 ounces of salami, and place the top half of the bread loaf on top…
Wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap, and place a heavy pot or skillet on top to gently press the sandwich. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 8 hours.
When ready to serve, carefully unwrap the sandwich and slice off the edges if you want a nice square cut.
Then cut the loaf in half and cut each half in half again. This will yield 4 sandwiches. Enjoy!